Thursday, May 1, 2025

May 1 already

The sun shone brightly on my 7:45 wakeup, promising a glorious day ahead. It was another day of the same routine. I spent the morning marketing, including publishing the maple coffee table tutorial. I shared it with our sponsors and posted it on relevant sites to gain traction. Then, I headed to work on the nightstand, sanding, wiping, and prepping it for a clear coat.


Finally kennel buddies


Meanwhile, S went out to empty the dump trailer at the pit and dealt with the fireball battery. After having an early lunch at 11, he studied Spanish before jetting off to town for an early hockey shinny at 12:30. He’s also going to pick up a dresser for me, Cooper for B, and a few groceries.

I cleared-coated the nightstand and sprayed the hardware black. Again as after cleaning the original gold finish showed in a few areas.


Earlier, I had scraped and sanded the dresser drawers inside, but I now applied stripper to the drawer fronts and the dresser top. While all these projects were in progress, I came in at 1 p.m. to make an iced coffee, update my blog, and spreadsheets. I then went back out to check on the stripper, applied another clear coat, and returned to grab a cheese string and orange for my late lunch. I got S's laundry going as it was a mountain pile.

Back at work, I scraped the stripper off and scrubbed the dresser pieces, hauled them outside to dry in the 20-degree sunshine, and continued working on the projects.

The nightstand now has hardware put on the drawers, and the drawers were hydrated with a salve both inside and out, and it’s complete!


S returned around 5 p.m. with a large load of groceries, Cooper, Amazon parcels from the gate (including Lexi’s food and furniture casters to make moving easier), and a dresser. However, this was a significant disappointment. The dresser had poor chipboard construction with peel-and-stick faux wood, missing the backboard, and loose drawer boxes. S also scratched the truck box while loading it. ;(



It was time for a refreshing drink on the deck, but the breeze was too strong. So, I went down and pulled grass around the hot tub and in the raised beds. I then went in, I made supper while S continued on the deck doing Duolingo.


These 2 Face-timed while out for a snack

After spaghetti supper, it was basement plant care before I asked S to help me haul the black coffee table downstairs during the intermission of the hickey game. Then, I hauled in the nightstand and staged it up. Then it was upstairs plant care.


B was out at her usual 7:30 ish and asked if I wanted to ride with her. I asked S if he wanted to join us, and sure enough, as we were catching up, he moseyed out too. A fox was right behind the horses, but he wasn’t too scared until Cooper put him on the run. B caught Beibs, and we all tacked up. It was a lovely night to ride, and even though B thought there were lots of bugs, the breeze seemed to keep most at bay.


see the fox?


Beibs first ride of the year



Bird joining conditioning training by self ponying 




Looks like B is riding bridleless :)


Harry made it all around too

After we untacked and fed the horses, B gave them their four-way vaccines for the year. They were released back into the ever-greening field. B opened the winter pasture gate on her way out, but S shut it this morning after being at the pit. S and I hit the hot tub during a hockey break. It was surprising he went riding during the playoffs! He was back in front of the TV folding more clothes I had washed up today while I showered, then caught up on the blog. I shut it down at 10:30 and headed to bed to read while S continued his playoff viewing. He then joined me in bed to read for a while too. Shaina arrives around 11 o'clock for a concert weekend with the city kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment