Wednesday, May 15, 2013

749 - siding goes on the shop

Day 749 again is sunny and great. The fellows were back early at work today starting on the siding and installing the windows on the barn side. Britt took the truck to school on the premise of picking up the huge mirror for me. The forecast has rain tomorrow and all long w/e so I opted to stay home and do outside stuff. I made food and fed the 2 oldies and let them out to graze. I put MTG on Scooter's mane too to help the itch.

most of the trees look terrible or died but there is some new growth!! 

Fist thing was mow the lawn but after checking oil as requested and gas I went to start it.. dead! Well it took quite some time to get the seat up to jump the battery but I did it. I told Sheldon I needed a hired man.. wait that is me. Once running off I went to mow all the lawns and around the semi dead trees. This took about 2 hours finishing at 11 when I grabbed a quick lunch. I also added another window to the building in the tack area before they sided that side :-)

 buckskin siding color
 4 foot walk thru door made for horses
 from sw corner
Next project, plant my garden. Part way thru I saw Julio racing around the south end of the pasture on the other side, seems he went out the gate down the trees and there but as I walked to get him he raced back to the road. I jumped on the quad with halters as I could not see any of them but it was just him out and by the time I got to the gate he was racing back into the field hahaha. I caught him a nd scooter and walked them back to their pen then walked back for the quad. The day was so lovely!! BUT we need the rain badly so bring it on!
I continued to plant seeds, water and do dog poop patrol as the sun shone down. When Britt got home from school she washed horse brushes while I continued to wash horse tack. I went and planted seeds at the gate planters while she tacked up the first set of horses. At 6 we took the first set out and then the 2nd. (Scooter/Bird & Hawk/Pepper) finishing up at 8. Scooter seemed not herself and uncomfortable today. The confirmed explanation will come later. Sheldon stayed after work to go for drinks with co-workers. He arrived home as we were feeding horses.

I combed thru Scooters mane to check for lice as suggested by the vet but nothing for sure but the workout caused them to come out visible on her body. Yuck no wonder the poor girl was itchy herself silly. Unfortunately Britt brushed all 4 horses with the same brush so it may be spread thru the herd. These brushes were soaked in bleach water and I continued to wash the saddle pads and dry on higher heat.
We all ate left over chili and again Sheldon hit the couch for hockey. It was such a nice evening, I walked to get Julio who was out in the big pasture again and put him back in with his poor itchy pasture mate. He does not seem to show any signs but if anyone on them to get it, it has to be him?

Time for a well deserved hot shower. Britt did too and had me check her hair as she felt itchy, a common effect for anyone hearing the word lice. I did tons of research and here are some facts
1- lice is host specific.. humans to humans, horses to horses not cross horse to human
2- usually the weaker health horses will have more than others but not necessarily
3- age not a factor
4- it is very contagious mostly thru shared tack, brushes and contact.

This poor horse has had it all since arriving, she is underweight, has a cold and now a huge plaque of lice but she has started to shed out and gain a bit of weight so in no time I see her good to go.

Shaina arrived home from boarding about 10, ate some chili visited and off to her room. She says her sleep is getting somewhat better.
 these are our weird tomatoes.. I actually called after all were like this.. they exchanged for new ones but we did eat one like this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment