Today started early. I woke up to the sound of the super annoying magpies at 5:30 a.m. By 6 a.m., I was already itching to get a bee bee gun. It’s another smoky day, and it's sad to hear about the many fires burning in Alberta. S was up by 7 a.m. to go spray the trees. I helped Britt figure out how to take her fire alarm apart to stop the beeping - which indicated a dead battery. Like many she assumed hard wired alarms don't have a battery. But eventually she got it all under control. The wind started to pick up shortly after, so good timing for the spraying. After a shower for S, we had our coffee and Spanish in bed before moving on to our usual pet care routine.
After that, I ventured out to investigate why the skid steer was running on high idle outside my office window. It turned out that S had gotten sidetracked from this compost dumping task in the garden and ended up making an appointment to fix a leaking tire after lunch. Then, he went on to get a hose to swather to take to town too. This meant that I had to finish my garden work and put the rest of the wheelbarrow into the raised beds, working it in.
I packed up the garbage and set it and the cardboard recyclables out for him to load and drop off on his way to town. He was off after 12, but this quick fix turned into an-hour wait, ugh. I’m glad I didn’t go. In the meantime, I managed to write an entire tutorial for that jumbo ornate dresser at home and continued my garage washer loads. Man, I love that set in the garage.
I was starving because I hadn’t had lunch yet. (Okay, I did open a bag of Miss Vickie’s, but I only had a few.) So, I headed out before 2:30 to fertilize my planters. I was doing so when S pulled up with Cooper and our wraps. Time for a late lunch with a cold beer!
Back outside, in the ugly, drying 23-degree wind, I picked weeds and watered the planters. At the island, there were many more thistles and dandelions on the east side. I got busy pulling them and feeding the grass and dandelions to Roo while S finished putting on the hose on the swather he is once again selling. He helped me dump the remaining compost from the skid steer bucket onto the island and raked the chips over again. I went and hand-picked the weeds around the raised beds in the gravel. Why do weeds grow so easily in the drought?
After giving him a Gravol, S headed to the pit to finish the north end. He hopes to get grass seed on it before the forecasted rains later this week. I hope for both! I went to work creating a pop-up for my tutorial blog again in hopes of getting my subscribers back. It seems only 70 have converted to the new service, leaving under 900 not moving.
S returned from his pit work about an hour later to visit big brown and browse the internet. I had him test the pop-up on his devices, and I believe I’ve resolved the issue. After supper, we took the dogs for a walk in the golden hour with a pleasant breeze. While we were out, we checked on the pit’s progress. S then returned to his laptop, and I worked on today’s blog. B arrived at 8 p.m. to perform her usual evening chores.
As I was weeding the garden, B went out riding. I then moved on to the raised beds area again. S came out, and I showed him the numerous spider webs on the spirea bushes. He pressure washed them off and returned inside to enjoy watermelon, browse the internet, and study Spanish. I continued my hand-picking in the beautiful golden hour. It was a wonderful time to be outdoors, except for the pesky bugs. I returned inside after 9 p.m. and continued working on today’s blog.









Even though he may get distracted you sure arelucky to have Sheldon to help with all the yard work ;-)
ReplyDeleteAny help is good help indeed
Delete