Monday, June 9, 2025

Another apple tree issue

Today was a windy, smoky, and hot day ahead. After the usual start, I was ahead of my Spanish league partner, S. I also had some more questions about wedding plans, so I chatted with Shaina and Kaylin. Roo had her meds and hay before I moved on to marketing and uploading photos for the big birthday party. He checked some online news and then went out to pressure wash the swather he’s contemplating selling. I pushed the slides out of the trailer, vacuumed the floor, while photos and videos uploaded. We had a short powwow about selling the swather in the trailer, and at the end, I think he’s going to keep it.

Inside for lunch and a cold beverage, I finally got the birthday blog complete. S relaxed in his big brown chair. I ran to town to get Cooper at Britt’s request and picked up another bottle of bug killer, as S has noticed more webs on some trees.

Eventually, he went back out and finished pressure washing the swather, taking some gopher shots, and hand watering new evergreen trees. I was back home and working on tutorials to try and get more links changed to generate passive income.

S was back in again to relax and cool off seeing the 25 degrees has him sweating now the wind let up.

I let Roo out for her half-hour grass time, then lured her back in with a dish of dandelions. S had watermelon and headed back out to water more plants, including two asparagus that finally showed. He also washed the far evergreens with webs. I went out to take a picture, but got sidetracked when I found the honey crisp apple tree had wet, soggy peeling bark and a hole. Turns out, the gardener had picked open the hole looking for bugs and then stuffed the hose in it. That’s why it was soggy and peeling, but once he headed in to troubleshoot, he found a few causes: blight, black rot, borers or winter damage. I am unsure what it is but lean more to winter damage.


this is when wet after the gardener went nuts on it


This is the damaged areas when dry a bit later


and from a bit aways, that poor dying branch that alerted me to the bugs originally

We prepped supper vegetables to put on the BBQ while the pork ribs cooked in the instant pot. We watched news and then the start of hockey as we ate. 

While S watched hockey, I scrubbed up the pots and pans. I then went outside to water my pots and raised beds. The wind was back, but I managed to finish my chores. During the second intermission, S went outside to wash off the large evergreens around the fire pit before applying bug spray. B went out late at 8:30 p.m. with her usual Tim Hortons pizza to eat before going out. While she was feeding, I took the dogs for a walk, and S continued watching the hockey game.





pit progress

Once the Oilers lost, which much to his excitement, we went for a hot tub soak in the golden hour. Then, we showered and read for me, while S surfed X on his phone with our bowls of ice cream. I did watch some YouTub videos but no real answer to the tree damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment