I awoke around 3 to thunder rolling and lightning flashing across the sky. The power bumped on and off a few times before things finally settled down. When I got up after 7, the rain gauge showed 1/10th of an inch and it was still drizzly outside. A nice surprise.
Coffee in hand, I perused Instagram while another little shower rolled through around 8:30. I finished up our anniversary blog post just as S was waking up after 9.
I headed out to toss Roo her hay bag despite the wind, only to discover there wasn't one waiting. I guess she would have to wait until B arrived later on her day off. Back inside, a Pilates workout got underway while B arrived around noon as S tried his hand at making mushroom soup.
Bundled up against the wind, I took the dogs outside. Lexi requires supervision here, so she came along while I watered the planters that had missed the rain and pulled yet more weeds. Meanwhile, B was busy cleaning up Roo's paddock.
B came in for a bowl of soup before heading out for a leisurely ride. I opted out as riding in the wind is not my idea of fun. Afterward she fed the horses and waited for Dr. Jordan to arrive and inject Roo's knees.
While everyone else was busy outside, I tackled our closet. The afternoon disappeared into sorting and purging clothes that haven't been worn in years or, in Sheldon's case, were simply worn and stained. S spent the afternoon alternating between baseball, reading a new library book, and defending several items from the giveaway pile, he opted to keep most I had selected.
Dr. Jordan arrived around 3 to do Roo's knee injections and check both Switch and Beibs. Thankfully both received passing grades.
At some point I noticed ads appearing in my email and decided that needed to be fixed. That innocent decision sent me down a two-and-a-half-hour rabbit hole that ended with both usable accounts locked and unable to be reset for at least 24 hours. Not exactly the outcome I was hoping for. During my technological adventure, S had moved on from reading to watching FIFA soccer from the couch.
Needing a change of scenery, I fed Harley, washed all of her dishes, and cleaned the garage sink. Supper was leftover pizza, which made life easy.
The cleaning mood continued as I sorted through a few cupboards and drawers, finding even more things to purge. I also gave Harley her Cartrophen shot.
By evening the wind had eased a little and the sun was still shining, so I took both dogs for a walk. Lexi, however, was far more interested in smelling every blade of grass than actually walking, so she was returned home while Harley and I continued on to the gate and back.
A little more weeding followed. I've discovered that doing a bit every time I go outside makes the job feel much less daunting. I also harvested my first spinach of the season. Earlier in the day I had picked and eaten the first strawberries from the garden and they were so good.
When I came back inside, S was still on the couch, having moved from soccer to rodeo. I headed to my favourite sunny spot in bed to work on the blog and watch a bit more of Ever Year After.
S eventually ventured out to knock down the big magpie nest and go for a hot tub soak only to discover the overnight power surges had turned off the heater. The water was sitting at a chilly 93 degrees.
Once he was back inside, we finished the evening the usual way—with a few more episodes of Clarkson's Farm.







Did the magpies move on after the nest was torched?
ReplyDeletethey are still here stealing cat food so don't think so :)
Delete