Saturday, June 13, 2026

A Seven Dollar Market Day

I had S set his alarm for 8, but much like the night before a vacation, I couldn't sleep. I woke at 6, flopped around until 7, then finally got up, made a coffee, and tackled the spreadsheet that had been giving me grief. Eventually I got it sorted out, got dressed, and headed to the market around 8:30.

The place was already abuzz when I arrived. I had spent quite a bit of time not sleeping worrying about prices and decided I would rather sell things than haul them home and store them again, so I adjusted quite a few tags before things got underway. Even with the sun shining, it stayed cool in the tented area.

Unfortunately, the market itself was slow. Attendance seemed lower than usual and I didn't make my first sale until around noon.

Things eventually picked up a little. By the end of the day I had sold eight items and just covered my booth fee, netting a grand total of seven dollars profit. Not exactly worth all the hours spent prepping, loading, hauling, setting up, sitting there, packing up, and hauling it all home again, but at least I put in the effort. And I have not done a market since fall 2024 and that one was in the red!!


At least Renn was enjoying the sunshine

S arrived around 3:45 and quickly made the rounds of a few of the six liquor vendors at the market before helping me pack up. He also confessed that he had smashed the bubble glass lamp into about a thousand pieces at lunch. On the bright side, he successfully spent the day pulling the hydraulic pump off the swather.

Within an hour everything was packed and loaded, and we were headed back to the ranch. By then I was starving, having only eaten a muffin while repricing things that morning. A pasta burger dish for supper I made hit the spot.

After eating, I updated my inventory spreadsheet and Facebook page while S relaxed and scrolled through his phone.

The evening was far too nice to stay indoors, so we took Harley for a walk to the gate and back. The sunshine was lovely, but there seemed to be thousands of tiny non-biting bugs everywhere. Sheesh.

B stopped by with Cooper and Clover on her way to Amber and Grady's for a sleepover. She had already been out around noon to do her horse chores and spend some time with both pups. The Paetz family, as usual, were scattered around the province for sports, with the girls in Stettler and the boys in Red Deer.

The day wrapped up with a yogurt bowl, Clarkson's Farm on the TV, and the robot vacuum doing its thing on the floors. Not exactly a profitable market day, but at least it was a beautiful one.

1 comment:

  1. Clover looks like having fun. Sorry the market was disappointing.

    ReplyDelete