The warm sunshine didn't last long. I woke before 7 to find the ranch wrapped in a misty veil, making it the perfect morning to stay in bed and scroll through my socials for a bit.
S eventually woke up, made coffee for both of us, and delivered it to bed. While enjoying my first cup, I may have ordered yet another bedding set.
The morning disappeared into marketing tasks and tidying while S continued working his way through the mountain of paperwork that came with the new vehicle. After reading through everything, he decided one of the three upscale packages probably wasn't worth keeping, but first he needed a few answers.
The finance gal called back with the information he was looking for. We still have a few decisions to make about what stays and what gets cancelled, but at least now we know what we're dealing with.
Before getting too comfortable, we squeezed in our upper-body weight workout.
I mixed up a batch of banana muffins for Shaina's birthday supper while S continued his phone perusing. While the muffins baked, I started transferring a few more things into the new vehicle and getting it organized.
By lunchtime the glorious sunshine had returned.
After days of rain it felt wonderful to see blue sky again, although I suspect the mosquitoes, weeds, and every seed I planted are feeling just as excited.
S loaded up the wagon and made a trip to the pit, managing to spot and dispatch a gopher along the way. I moved planters back into the sunshine and even had to water a few that somehow missed the recent rains.
I was still organizing the new car when B and Cooper arrived around 2:30.
"Let's ride before the rain comes," she suggested.
Of course, as soon as we started tacking up, thunder rolled across the sky.
At the same time, S headed out with the lawn mower to tidy up the entry area. B and I managed to get our ride in, although a light mist started falling while we were out. The horses didn't seem to mind.
We arrived back at the yard at almost the exact same time as S.
The horses were untacked, turned out, and fed, and not long after that the thunder ramped up and the skies opened.
I moved inside to start supper preparations, peeling potatoes and putting bun dough into the bread maker while S cut the sirloin tip into four roasts and seasoned them.
B and Cooper headed home for a bit while we waited for the birthday crew to arrive.
The rain only amounted to about a thiteenth of an inch, but the skies stayed dark and threatening as S settled into the big brown chair with his laptop and I worked on the blog at the island.
Around 5, the city crew rolled in and the birthday festivities officially began.
There were presents to open, toys to play with, and plenty of painting projects to keep little hands busy.

The roast went into the Instant Pot, the buns were shaped and baked, potatoes were mashed, gravy was made, and a salad rounded out the meal.
It was exactly what the older birthday girl had requested.
Miss Renn, however, had her own supper plans. She happily dined on fresh blueberries, string cheese, and a couple of hot buns.
At her parents' suggestion, bedtime was pushed later than usual since she had slept until 8 that morning. Around 8:20, she and I settled in with a couple of books followed by bum taps.
The excitement of the day made it difficult for her to wind down, but eventually, around 9, sleep finally won.
While S and Matt watched hockey, Matt eventually joined Shaina, Jenkins, B, and Cooper for a walk during a gorgeous golden-hour evening.
B headed home just before the hockey game wrapped up, leaving the four of us to spend the rest of the evening playing cards.
We finally called it a night sometime after 11.
I still squeezed in some reading before turning out the light around midnight, fully aware there was a very good chance the birthday girl might decide morning should start early.













No videos of Shaina playing with her presents!
ReplyDelete