Monday, April 14, 2025

Hard at work

Cooper hopped into bed with us at 7:20 a.m. and dropped off by B on her way to work. I fell back asleep until just before 8 a.m. S filled the Nespresso water vessel, fed the cats, and made our coffees. We relaxed in bed as we usually do to start the day.

Once up, I quickly got to work on marketing and checked in on the coffee pod order. S made his porridge, and we continued our typical daily routine. As I looked out the window, I spotted a coyote fairly close to the yard. It seemed to take forever for S to get his gun and ammunition, but after sighting the coyote and taking a shot, it was a miss. I then headed to the garage to work. Surprisingly, the temperature had gone the other way, and it was now 23 degrees outside, making it warm enough to work in.


kiwis are a new favourite fruit

S went out and dumped more dirt in pasture swales while I tackled this challenging custom cabinet.

The cabinet had a lot of progress. A second coat of paint was applied, and this time, wood filler was used with a black colour. The longer drawer fits great, but the little drawer has issues because the cabinet isn’t square. However, it should all look good once it’s finished. I sanded the centre door down before coming in for lunch.

S was watching the news and having lunch, but he headed to town early to get his skates sharpened before 1:30 p.m. shinny, but it didn’t go well. It seems the new guy sharpened them and messed them up. Another guy had a turn, so he went off to the arena, but once he was on the ice, he fell on his butt with messed-up blades. This ended his skating in short order, and he had to go back to Home Hardware to get another person to fix them.

The dresser hardware was to be decided, originally I thought black but after seeing the trending brass I was torn so put out a poll.


I walked the dogs to the gate to retrieve a bag of new hardware that the customer had picked up and hung on the gate. It will look nice, but unfortunately, the pull was too long. I think I’ll need to get creative. The door and two wood pieces on the base were stained after wood conditioner was applied, and I had to do more paint touch-ups and salve the drawer runners and sides, and two of the long drawer pull holes were re-drilled for the new hardware.


I was mixing the horse feed when he was back so he joined me with a cold drink in the sunshine. While the horses ate I showed him other areas that could use dirt along the lane way. Once the horses were done S went to load the skid steer in the dump trailer to go do his church donation day of work for the gal pushing in rodent holes and such.

 I finished up the three hours chalked up on the cabinet, washed the brushes, put things away, fed the dogs, and then packaged up Harley’s bone broth. I wrapped it up at 5 and came in, S, was relaxing at the island, eating chips and drinking beer. He prepared the ribs for supper, but he realized that the Instant Pot was a much better choice for tender, fall-off-the-bone meat.

S was doing Spanish in big brown, taking advantage of his week-long unlimited hearts. I had been trying to get my free week to work, but it kept freezing. Finally, after many different attempts, I logged online and did one of the required apple tests, and the app finally worked.

In the golden hour, we enjoyed a relaxing hot tub soak. Before 9 p.m., B picked up Cooper, who had been lying in bed with me while I was doing Spanish lessons. She went to yet another escape room with friends after work hence why late and had dropped Cooper off early. S was still doing Spanish in big brown, watching hockey. I then watched a couple more episodes of North of North on my iPad while S finally came in and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment