Back to our morning routine, coffee and social perusing in bed. With my second cup in hand, I got to work on the blog, finally finishing and publishing the first day of our vacation. (if you read already, I have added more photos from Shaina to the first 2 days)
S didn't make it out of bed until after 10, then headed out to toss hay to the horses. He tackled a little thistle pulling in the island while he was out there.
Then came a bit of disappointing news. I received a call from the dog chiropractor saying they needed a vet referral, which we didn't have. As a result, Harley's 2 p.m. appointment was cancelled. Boo. Unfortunately, that also meant cancelling our supper plans at Shaina and Matt's high-rise. We were both looking forward to that, so that was a double disappointment.
With that change of plans, I continued working on Day Two of the vacation blog while putting the robot to work cleaning the floors.
Lunch was leftover chicken sandwiches before I headed outside. I swapped Jimmy and Switch, then let them out along with the two newbies. Thankfully, everyone behaved themselves and the whole shuffle went off uneventfully. Always a bonus when you're moving horses around!
I did a little more gardening, pulling spent pea plants and heading flowers, cutting a sunflower bouquet, before helping S cut a new rail to replace the one Roo had broken the morning we left. Apparently she wanted to make sure we came home to a project.
Then it was time to clean out the new car. After its inaugural 1340-kilometre vacation adventure, it needed was unpacked, a quick vacuum and a back to ship-shape order.
I took Harley for a walk down to the gate, where S was working on fishing a new wire through in hopes of finding the short that occasionally causes the gate not to open when it's raining. Because apparently even the gate has its own little personality issues.
Back at the house, I dug four hills of potatoes—two for our supper and two for Shaina—and picked some of the yellow zucchini that is actually growing. At least one zucchini variety is cooperating!
Shaina and Matt arrived after 5 just as I was getting the potato pack ready for the BBQ. They headed out to catch Jimmy and Roo, but Miss Mac wasn't having any of it. Rather than waste the evening chasing with her, they diverted to their riding plan and decided they'd deal with Mac later.
I had finished yesterday's blog, complete with all the photos and videos, and published it just as S was making his way back from the gate.
I opted out of riding tonight so I could get supper organized. It turned into a true farm-to-fork meal with garden-fresh yellow zucchini, our own potatoes, and Jarod's pork chops heading onto the BBQ.
Shaina worked with Mac after their ride while B arrived and fed the horses. Then everyone came in for supper.
And just like that, we're back into the familiar rhythm of ranch life. Vacation blogs to catch up on, horses to move, fences to fix, gardens to tend, a young filly to work with, and supper gathered from the garden.















Looks like Shaina is training a horse and a 'lion'. I could hear your voice when it raised to tell horse to leave the cat alone!
ReplyDeletehaha J does think he is a lion :)
Delete