Thursday, August 27, 2026

Bull Riding, Pumpkin Spice & Another Summer Scorcher

S said he was aiming to be back in town by 10, but as I was up making us coffees at 8:30, he changed his mind. It was suddenly, “I better get there.” He showered and was tapping his toe, ready to go, while I finished my coffee and got myself ready too, with the off chance of staying to watch the bull riders again. I fed Harley and let the horses out just in case, because you never know where the day might take us.

When we got to town, there were water puddles everywhere. Turns out they had received rain and hail overnight while we once again got absolutely nothing. Of course. It also turned out S had forgotten his truck keys in his haste to get going. So I drove him to the rodeo office, where he brought me back a pumpkin spice muffin—worth the trip! I then dropped him at his truck, where at least he could use the door code to get his gloves for cracking chute gates today.

I came back home and got busy marketing my latest tutorial and working on the blogs. It was only 20°C when I dropped S off, but already 27°C by the time I was home. Looks like another scorcher ahead.


Hank's new pony rasp arrived in last nights parcel

I also chopped up some bison tongue and liver to make Harley a few meals, along with some broth I had made for her. She certainly isn't lacking for homemade food around here!

After noon, I packed up some cold drinks and headed back into town for the second day of bull riding at rodeo school. The improvement in the riders from yesterday was immense. You could really see them gaining confidence and getting better with each ride.



Once the riding wrapped up, we once again gathered for cold refreshments and visiting with the group. Lots of laughs carried on for another hour or so at Boreham’s trailer before the five of us headed to Road House for supper.

Once again, supper came with plenty of laughs, stories and good company. These spontaneous rodeo-school days certainly weren't what I had planned when I woke up, but they have turned into some pretty great days.

After supper, we headed back to the ranch, passing B on her way out from feeding around 8:30. S headed straight for the hot tub while I fed Harley and the cats and watched a bit of Surfer Girl until he came in.

Then it was another episode of Lioness, checking one more off the list before calling it a night.

Two days of bull riding school, friends, cold drinks, good food and more laughs than planned. My little “just say yes”challenge is definitely paying off. Sometimes saying yes to an unexpected invitation gives you a much better day than pulling weeds and yard work.

2 comments:

  1. Before you know it Sheldon will be challenging Cody for his job pulling gates!

    ReplyDelete