Mornings are definitely getting cooler, with the windows open all night, and of course the sun is up early along with the dang magpies. Today I opted not to scroll Instagram with my first coffee but instead curled up with my book. A much nicer way to start the morning!
S woke, made his coffee, got dressed and shaved, and was off to rodeo school by 9, hoping to get in on the Tim’s promised coffee and donuts at the grounds.
I published a blog post as well as the tutorial for Kaylin’s IKEA organizer, then shared it up on the various sites before heading out to release the ponies. I pulled more pea plants and sunflowers, both of which the horses were very happy to help dispose of. I also harvested a few of the first carrots, with varying degrees of success. Dang! They may not win any beauty contests, but they’ll be eaten, odd-looking and all. :)
Back inside, I turned my attention to marketing, something that has been neglected for far too long. After a bowl of leftovers, I headed back outside because it was simply far too nice to stay indoors. I scooped poop, pruned some branches and was pulling weeds in the island when S texted that I should come watch the bull riders at rodeo school.
And there it was—another impromptu decision in my personal challenge to just say yes.
I quickly changed and drove into the rodeo grounds. I met up at a friend’s trailer, and she and I walked over together and found seats under an umbrella, which was absolutely perfect on this 29°C day. The agricultural staff were videoing each ride, while Donny Jo and Scott Schifner critiqued each one.
It was quite the challenge for the riders, ages 16-21with varying levels of experience taking on different bulls, steers and cows. There was even one girl brave enough to ride three!
Once the clinic ended for the day, we all enjoyed a few ice-cold refreshments at the rodeo office. Somehow that morphed into heading back to our friend’s trailer, where the fellows had Caesars while Bev threw a pasta casserole in the oven along with hot garlic bread and tossed salad.
THANK YOU!! It was so tasty.
There were lots of stories, laughter and visiting, and before we knew it, it was time to head home. I was the designated driver and safely got us back to the ranch around 10.
Once home, I settled down with my book after finally forcing Harley outside for a pee following her long quarantine inside. Apparently B hadn’t even popped in while she was out feeding, so Harley had been holding it for quite some time!
S was sound asleep almost immediately, while I squeezed in a little more reading before calling it a night. The winds picked up and thunder rolled but nothing happened.
Another day that didn't quite go according to plan—and another reminder of why I'm enjoying this little “just say yes”challenge. I could have stayed home pulling weeds, but instead I ended up sitting under an umbrella watching bull riders learn their craft, sharing laughs and stories with friends, and enjoying an unexpected supper.
Sometimes the best days are the ones you didn't plan for.

That "just say yes" is a good philosophy ;-)
ReplyDeleteIt is an interesting choice that has done me good :0)
Delete