Monday, August 24, 2026

From Windy Drudgery to a Golden-Hour Evening

The wind blew through the night and right into today. Yuck. After my coffee, I finally published the last vacation blog—whew! That feels like a pretty big accomplishment after all those vacation days to catch up on. The ponies were released and cats and dog fed as per every morning.


grass cut always looks nice and the rain gave it some green again

S pressure-washed the Fireball and then his truck before putting the Fireball back up on the lift, while I tackled the drudgery laundry. Glamorous ranch life!

He came in for lunch before heading to town for a doctor’s appointment, hockey and his usual coffee klatch. I had a sandwich and then got busy in the garage, rearranging my furniture under the lift after sweeping the floors.

From there, I somehow wandered down an Ancestry rabbit hole after Vance had me share his login information. Many things needed updating, especially with new DNA connections and deaths. :( 

After 3:30, I loaded up Harley and off we went to see Murray, our horse chiropractor. He was kind enough to fit her in after hearing that the dog chiropractor had some issues that required a vet referral. A couple of adjustments later and we were on our way.

I stopped at McDonald’s so I could get a pineapple refresher, although that turned into more of an ordeal than expected. I had somehow been logged out of my app, then discovered I was out of phone storage, all while Sheldon happened to pop his head in the window because he was arriving to meet his hockey buddies for coffee. He continued inside while I battled with my phone, eventually gave up and headed home. Sometimes technology just isn't worth the aggravation!

I let Harley out at the gate and let her wander home while I made her supper, then picked some more zucchini for ours. Thankfully, by then the wind had finally settled into just a breeze. I gave Harley her Cartrophen shot too now that she was adjusted.

While Stella ate, I managed to cut quite a few mats out of her fur with the scissors. Not a pretty look but I bet it feels better. S was home after 5:30, and we soon got supper underway.

It was delicious—salmon on the BBQ with all the little zucchini I could find, onions and garden-fried potatoes. B popped in to enjoy some of the extra veggies before heading off to feed her herd.

And then, just like that, the day redeemed itself.

The evening had turned absolutely beautiful. The wind was gone, the sunshine was glorious and everything was bathed in that warm golden light that makes the ranch feel extra special. Sitting on the deck was completely tranquil after the blustery day we'd endured.



The hot tub came next as the sun continued its slow descent, followed by a shower and another couple episodes of Lioness.

A day that started with yucky wind, laundry and frustrating technology ended with garden supper, a calm deck, golden sunshine and a beautiful sunset. I'll take that ending any day.

1 comment: