Sunday, August 30, 2026

Games, Garden Tomatoes & a Little Scare

My auto internal alarm woke me after 7, but I managed to rest for another hour before getting dressed and heading out to finish and post the blog. I was unloading the dishwasher when Matt popped up with the rest of the company not long after.

I got the bacon going in the oven and picked the first of the tomatoes from the garden just as it started to sprinkle. Finally! After waiting and watching those tomatoes forever, we have our first one. Coffee and tea were served as everyone started waking and getting moving.

Shaina cooked the scrambled eggs and S made the toast once he finally got up—last of all, after 10! The rain sprinkles came and went, but it left behind one of those yucky, dreary days. S started a fire, so we gathered around it for some visiting before moving back to the table for more games.

Shaina opted out of the last round of Pass the Ace so she could catch Mac and work with her. Once the game ended, Matt joined her and Betty headed out for a bit too. I took advantage of the cool weather and cut a bucket of sunflowers for Shaina to take home.

Everyone was packing up as Shaina finished her last things and was about to let Mac out when she suddenly noticed her choking. I went out to help, and eventually Mac managed to swallow the “cookies.”

Whew! That was a scary half hour, especially right when everyone was getting ready to leave. Good thing Shaina noticed this.

It immediately reminded me of Baby, another of Shaina's horses, choking on an apple years ago. I ended up putting a garden hose in her throat to dislodge it as per our vet, although B was quick to remind me, “Don’t do that again!” LOL. Probably good advice.

It also brought back a completely different choking memory of my own. I once had a pill stuck in my throat and nothing I tried would move it. At the ER, the doctor handed me a can of Coke to drink and almost instantly it dissolved and cleared. Funny how a moment like this can bring back memories you haven't thought about in years.

The Jeep headed off toward the city beneath dark skies, with thunder and lightning rumbling to the west. Back inside, Sheldon was napping on the couch in front of the fire while I worked on today’s blog with another half caff coffee. B popped out quickly to feed and then headed back home.


In the city, the Boysis's were serenaded during supper by a traveling minstrel <3

For supper, I cooked up some super-healthy bison liver to go with all the leftover vegetables. Not the fanciest meal, but definitely a good way to use up the leftovers and keep things nutritious.


trying out some Instagram photo tips, kinda cool picture

A hot tub and some relaxing in bed watching more Lioness with a big yogurt and frozen fruit bowl rounded out the day.

It was a quieter ending after such a busy weekend of family, games and visiting. The weather may have spoiled our plans for a campfire, but the fire inside kept us cozy, and after that little scare with Mac, having everyone safely on their way home was more than enough reason to call it a good day.

Shaina shared another Snapchat memory, these ones are 5 years ago today <3


1 comment:

  1. Someone reminded me about when Ron was complaining about giving coke when having difficulty with pills that stick. The coke quickly adheres to the pill surface releasing it from tissue. Good save, in both choking cases!

    ReplyDelete