Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Garden Goodies & Lexi Turns 14

A cooler day was ahead, and after several days of heat, it was actually nice to crack the windows and let the cool outside air flow through the house. Coffee and a little perusing for S while I opted to get to work on the blogs.

And today is a very special day because Lexi is 14! ðŸŽ‚ Fourteen years for our little blind granny girl is certainly something worth celebrating. She's been part of our lives for a long time now, and every birthday feels a little more special as the years add up.

I am also very far behind in my Creative Moments marketing world and projects, so there was plenty waiting for me at the computer. I did manage to write a Hometalk post for the jewelry armoire, which counts toward my $50 US monthly stipend, so at least one marketing box was checked.

S shocked the hot tub and took the poop wagon to the pit, with a big thanks to B for keeping it filled during our busy week.

We spent much of the day continuing to pack for our trip and getting the ranch organized so we could leave for a week. The trailer was parked back in its spot, waiting patiently for its next adventure.

Lunch was, shall we say, sketchy keeping the fridge near empty. S eventually headed to town to pick up some beer to take along—and, of course, he couldn't resist stopping by the rodeo office. Apparently, he isn't quite ready to completely let Stampede go yet.

I headed out to the garden and dug a couple of hills of potatoes, setting some aside for us to take along and some for the Paetz's. There is something especially satisfying about digging up food from your own garden to take along on a trip.

Amanda is kindly taking care of Harley tonight through Friday, since B has some work thing after work tomorrow. I had already arranged for AJ to pop out and let Harley out as well as let the kids loose on the peas, which are absolutely overloaded right now.

Back inside, I returned to the blog. There were photos, videos, conversations, and all the little pieces of the last several days to sort through. Shaina also sent me some photos, and it turns out she had quite a few from Friday's blog I published this morning - so if you're reading along, go back and check out her photos too!

By now the temperature had climbed to 25°C and the A/C kicked in while S showered. I finally stopped procrastinating and got in a long-overdue workout. After all those days of rodeo activity, I figured it was probably time to remind my body what an actual workout felt like.

Then back outside again.

I picked onions to take with us and some for the Paetz's, stopping along the way for a handful of fresh peas. I called S outside to get his fill too because once the kids pick them tomorrow, they'll likely be pretty much done. The vines have stopped flowering, so we're enjoying the last of this year's pea crop while we can. Turns out Jimmy likes eating the pods.



I watered the gardens, then all the pots and tomatoes, before finally calling the outdoor chores done.


My dahlias blooming after overwintering in this same pot, yeah

Spaghetti was supper, followed by more packing and organizing. By the end of the evening, I had finally caught up on the last five days of life, including all the photos and videos. That's no small accomplishment after Stampede week!

Now all that remained was loading Harley's kennel and food and getting her settled over at the Paetz household. But first I scrubbed up her chin and applied the steroid cream and cleaned her eye. The girls were waiting our arrival and after a short visit we set off as Aislyn and Ada took the dogs for a walk.


We detoured on our way home to DQ for a blizzard before returning to the ranch. B was out to feed horses who now all get the plan and it runs like a smooth machine feeding 7 horses in various pens. I was just to of the shower when she popped in to say goodbye.

Now to relax with some Netflix.

After the whirlwind of Stampede week, it felt good to finally slow down enough to catch our breath. The ranch is getting organized, the garden is sending us off with potatoes, onions and peas, the blogs are finally caught up, and Lexi has reached the grand old age of 14.

Not a bad day at all. Now for the near 8 hour drive ahead tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment