Friday, February 19, 2016

power tools and paint

The ground was covered with snow when I sent D out at 7 and the sun was blazing when up at 8:30. Apparently it is storming in Oyen when I called Dad to wish him a happy birthday, crazy!! Happy Cake Day Dad~~ <3

I loaded up on coffee and got to work. Power tools were the highlight of the morning. I cut 3 hard board pieces for chalk boards, got the edges sanded and 1st coat of paint on.

The frame I painted blue got a coat of the dark wax, it ended up more like a glaze perhaps from the freezing but like the way it filled in the wood grain.
A cheap little wood shelf became my first piece to try the Fat color called autumn. I am not a fan of this color so have put off for some time but actually like the two colors together, it should turn out lovely.
A quick bite to eat and back out to the creative corner! Shaina's mirror frame got a good scrub and left to dry. I added a hanger to the blue frame. Wanting to try a new technique I made some chalk paint "stain". On a frame/shelf I put it directly on the raw pine then plan to stain over it

and on a raw pine basket I first put on a coat of the all in one hickory stain. I will do the stain wash over it.

I added a coat of clear wax to Shaina's frame, the window frame and the blue frame for added shine. Another coat of chalkboard paint on the boards now time to create the mercury glass window for the frame. It is a stinky product so time to head in and catch the end of Ellen while it dries. Attach the key "hooks" buff and stage the key rack and post.

 
The bright sunshine and plus 10 had all the snow gone by mid afternoon. It then got overcast, like the last 3 plus 10 days.. me no like gloomy overcast, come back out sun! Britt arrived home after her short week filled with exams just before 5. I made us a hot supper and just like that, the sun burned thru around 5:30, beautiful!


I headed back out to work on my projects while Britt claimed studying, although she did manage to take a break and make some no cook energy ball cookies ;) I painted, distressed & waxed a couple coats on the wooden basket.
The shelf had glass installed (pics tomorrow) and secured after a 3rd coat of chalk paint was put on all the boards.
and I scrubbed up another basket and dry brushed it in white too (not shown). What a busy but productive day!! I deserve a Netflix break, right? ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment