Friday, February 12, 2016

bison hide prep and garage reorganization

We awoke to fog again today and a not so warm day. Good time for coffee in bed and some more online researching. I spent the morning snapping pictures, blogging, sorting things and organizing. Sheldon sought out information on tanning his hide via a nearby tanner.
frosty ponies
After lunch, we unloaded the freezer to let sit for a bit before opening. He then headed out to do more fleshing out while I started the daunting task of removing all my goodies stacked where the new freezer and garage fridge will go. It did give me a great opportunity to see what projects I have on hand and which things can go.

this was why the slow drive home




 before.... after!!!

A run to town was in order for 50 lbs of salt, a few returns and booze run. I posted a passel of things for free and hope they get snatched up quick. Britt was home loaded with laundry just after 4, saying foggy all the way from Olds. Sheldon got back with hot chai and a flower bouquet.. AWE! <3<3
He also picked up the mail and my prize was in it.. not really a prize in the end after paying $15 to mail but I will put it to use ;)
He and I then got busy and moved the fridge over and opened and put the freezer in place. I moved stuff to the old fridge area while he chugged a couple beers and observed ;) He did say yay or nay to some of his stuff needed purging.
where did it all go you ask?? here is the area where fridge was and other stuff being stored elsewhere or going
By now it was after 7 and the poor dears were starving so I headed in and cooked them food. In return Sheldon passed me chest freezer items to put in now cold new freezer. He headed back to his hockey game while I started chest freezer clean out and bit more tidying. Hoping tomorrow is plus 8 as forecast to move the shop items, chairs and recyclables.

Here are some pics of the tanning process today
laid out on pallets this is where he was doing the fleshing out until I suggested a way that might save his back and knees..
 so he folded up the hide
 and put it on an elevated pallet table using saw horses
 once all done the fleshing out he laid it back out on ground level
and applied the salt which will now sit and "draw out" moisture for the next few days.. or weeks even

No comments:

Post a Comment