What a night.
Poor Harley yelped multiple times through the night, though the one time I checked on her she was immediately back to snoring afterward. Stella eventually decided the garage was officially too hot and demanded out sometime during the night too.
Honestly, the whole house felt smoking hot.
The air conditioning had finally shut off after running for about five hours straight and had managed to cool things down substantially by around 1 a.m., but I still opened the bedroom window for awhile until the magpies started their early morning nonsense.
There was also a brief little sprinkle of rain around 3 a.m. which, unsurprisingly, amounted to absolutely nothing. I know this because I took Harley out for a pee not long afterward and the ground barely looked damp.
Eventually I gave up trying to sleep and officially started the day around 7.
On the bright side, my knee felt significantly better.
I made my usual coffee and settled in to read my book, seeing the internet was out thanks to a derailed train somewhere in western Canada. Only in rural life does a train derailment somehow affect your Wi-Fi.
S eventually got up later, made his coffee, scrolled his phone for awhile, ate cereal, and headed out before 9:30. He had plans to stop at Premium Ag before spending the day helping at the rodeo grounds work bee.
Meanwhile, I spent the morning painting two little children’s chairs for the upcoming market using two of the newly released paint colours. They turned out adorable.
Harley’s dog food arrived during all of this, though even barking at the delivery had her yelping again, likely from tightening sore muscles. That convinced me to book her a vet appointment for Friday morning just to be safe, though I was still hoping she’d improve before then.
After that I tackled my very last payroll sheets for the paint company and sorted out vendor insurance for the June market — something completely new to me. Thankfully the internet had returned by then so I could actually get things submitted.
Later, I coaxed Harley into walking down the road with me and once she got moving, she seemed more like herself again. Back at the house she happily ate what was basically a late breakfast/early supper combo and enjoyed a frozen treat after a thorough brushing session.
I also reconfigured the garden soaker hoses so the potatoes would finally get watered since they are now fully popping through the soil.
My own lunch was cottage cheese and blueberries while realizing the rodeo work bee had apparently turned into another full-day event. I had secretly been hoping S might bring lunch home.
The day itself stayed warm and muggy around 25 degrees with mostly overcast skies, which somehow made it feel even hotter. The A/C had to go back on, and after finishing computer work I squeezed in a 30-minute Pilates workout just as the sun finally appeared around 3.
Afterward I stretched out on the bed in the sunshine and read my book for awhile — one of the better parts of the day honestly.
S finally called around 4:15 saying they had wrapped up at the rodeo grounds, grabbed Cooper, and were heading home. I went out to move hoses and pull weeds until they rolled into the yard.
Then it officially became cold beer and “learn a new card game” time.
I made pork chops for supper just as hockey started up again. While giving Harley her medication afterward, I double-checked the dosing with Britt and realized I had completely misread the dropper instructions the night before.
In my defence, the measurements and dog weights are not remotely related on the label.
Turns out I had accidentally given Harley the dose for a 25-pound dog instead of a 130-pound dog… which completely explained why it appeared to do absolutely nothing.
Thankfully, once I gave her the correct dose she felt better a while later.
Epic fail on my part, but as Amanda pointed out, at least I dramatically underdosed instead of overdosing her.
The evening settled into a quieter rhythm after that. I read while the vacuum worked away and S disappeared to the basement TV for hockey. B came out to feed, and I helped her mix up fly spray because the bugs are getting terrible already.
Once she and Cooper headed home and hockey finally ended, S and I finished the night with a hot tub soak before watching the newest episode of Dutton Ranch and part of Funny AF before finally calling it a day.


I productive day! Under dose certainly better than overdose
ReplyDelete