Friday, May 29, 2026

Birthday Horse, Shiny Car & the Best Cook Ever

The morning disappeared in a hurry between indoor plant care, computer work, and the usual collection of little jobs that somehow fill an entire morning.

S, meanwhile, embraced retired life to its fullest with another leisurely start to the day.

Today was also a special day because Switch officially turned 14! Hard to believe that my horse is already 14 years old. That and I only technically own 2 horses and 1 was claimed 15 years by B as her heart horse!


Another thing that's hard to believe? The complete lack of interest in our car listing.

So far we've had exactly two messages. One was from someone looking for parts who had actually contacted the wrong seller. Not exactly encouraging. I dropped the price slightly, but neither of us is interested in practically giving the vehicle away just to buy something new. That's never really been our style.

By noon we had packed up return parcels and headed to town. The sun had finally appeared, temperatures were climbing, and it was already 24 degrees.

The mission list included picking up the repaired weed eater, returning packages, collecting Cooper, and grabbing Opa wraps.

Once back at the ranch, we enjoyed our wraps and cold drinks while escaping the growing heat. S settled into the big brown chair with his laptop while I worked on today's blog from the island.

By afternoon the temperature had climbed to 28 degrees, and the wind arrived in full force.

I headed outside to clear coat the little chairs while S tested out the repaired weed eater. I followed that up with a short walk with the dogs and a bit of tree pruning while he continued battling with the trimmer.



We have a few trees suffering this year, this plum tree is the worst with maybe 50 leaves!

Unfortunately, it quickly became clear that "repaired" might be a generous description.

Soon enough S was back in the big brown chair researching solutions and chatting with the repair shop while I squeezed in a weight workout.

B arrived home early from work because she needed to pick up her car from the body shop after repairs from her pheasant encounter. The best part wasn't even the repairs — they had done a full detail.

She was absolutely thrilled.

Honestly, the car looked brand new.

While she made food, I gathered some of the last apples to bring out for Switch's birthday. I removed Switch's bandages while she enjoyed her treats, and B worked on Beibs.

While checking Switch, B noticed some swelling around the injection site, so we headed for the hose to cool things down. Then Jimmy came in for his itchy-skin treatment and revealed a very swollen knee, which earned him some cold hosing too.

Apparently everyone around here is dealing with sore joints this week.

Back inside, S had already started supper preparations. Tonight marked the final package of deer tenderloin from the freezer, which led him to checking hunting draw dates for the fall.

B and Cooper headed home shortly afterward in her freshly repaired, freshly detailed, sparkling clean vehicle.

Supper, however, stole the show.

On the menu was deer tenderloin, corn on the cob, fresh asparagus, and a potato-carrot-onion foil pack.

S was so impressed with the result that he declared himself "the best cook ever."

A bold statement.

To be fair, it was absolutely delicious. I even gave it bonus points because I didn't have to prep or cook a single thing.

Of course, I did handle cleanup afterward, which is our arrangement.

With cleanup done, we headed out for a hot tub soak before settling in to watch Montreal get completely decimated in the final game of their series.

Not exactly the ending Canadian fans were hoping for.

The evening wrapped up with the newest episode of Dutton Ranch followed by a few episodes of Margo's Got Money Troubles before calling it a night.

1 comment: