Monday, May 18, 2026

Chilly Sunshine, Garden Dirt & A Quiet Night In

Even without little miss beside me, I was awake by 7:15. The house was quiet, the morning was freezing, and overnight temperatures had dropped to just 1 degree. Definitely not the spring warmth we keep hoping for around here.

I did a little Instagram scrolling before heading out to make coffee — one for me and one for S. Both sipping coffee and doing our morning social media peruse while trying to fully wake up.

With coffee number two in hand, I finally got my jewelry armoire tutorial posted having to wait for paint color release day. That felt good to finally check off the list. After that I worked away on Saturday’s blog post while bouncing between the computer, watering plants, and dragging planters around the yard trying to chase the sunshine.

Meanwhile, S packed up a few things, I made him a snack pack, he fuelled the truck up, and headed out after 10:30. His main destination was fencing at the bison place, though he was debating taking the Medicine Hat route first to pick up tractor parts and drop off a belated Mother’s Day gift. Unfortunately, their building is apparently in lockdown again thanks to yet another virus making the rounds.

Outside, I decided it was finally time to trust the internet gardening experts and get some herbs planted. The thyme and oregano officially went into the raised bed after reading they can survive as perennials in Zone 3 and tolerate cooler temperatures — basically the exact description of May in Alberta this year.

While I was at it, I planted carrots, beets, and another zucchini hill, plus dug out what felt like approximately one million weeds in the in ground garden.

After a quick lunch of leftover Chinese food, I headed back outside to mow the west-side jungle disguised as grass. Mowing also chopped up the massive pile of weeds I had tossed around earlier, which is when I fully experienced the “on-and-off mowing situation” S had warned me about.

What an absolute pain.

Every few minutes the mower would cut out thanks to the overly sensitive seat trigger. Apparently our options are either gaining 100 pounds each or hot-wiring the thing like S suggested. By the end, the yard looked… improved-ish. Patchy perhaps, but still significantly less shaggy than before.

The weather at least cooperated for most of the mowing. The sun stayed out until mid-afternoon before dark clouds rolled in from the west bringing colder wind and that unmistakable “you should probably go inside now” feeling. Once indoors, I finally chopped my nails short because gardening season and long nails simply do not belong together. A smattering of rain hit the window and was gone.


Wicked west and Ruby is starting to bloom :)

An hour later the weather calmed down again and the sun reappeared, though the wind stuck around. Somewhere in the middle of all that I was also chatting with Apple support about an annoying battery issue when B and Coop arrived.


After she ate her burger, we headed out to catch horses and went for about an hour-long ride. The evening sunshine mixed with the cool wind actually made for pretty perfect riding weather.

Back at the barn, B trimmed Roo and fed while I took care of Har before finally heading inside around 5:30 for a cold beer. Soon after, she and Cooper packed up and headed home. My supper? Leftover paw patrol noodles :)

I briefly considered using the hot tub, but without Sheldon’s app the thing refuses to start. We did get a new monitor for it last week, but it still hasn’t been installed yet. So instead, I settled for a long bath while watching an episode of Home.

He text he finished his mowing all the grass at the Carry farm and bison fencing assement day and was staying at Mom's for the night and just finished watching the Montreal Canadians win there division in over time.

After drying my hair, I crawled into bed right in that perfect golden evening light and started a new series called It’s Not Like That with a yogurt bowl. It turned out to be one of those unexpectedly cute shows that quietly hooks you in because somehow four episodes disappeared before I finally turned the lights out at midnight







1 comment:

  1. Everyone seemed to get lots accomplished over the long weekend. Trav hooked up four cubes in a daisy chain to collect rainwater from the garage roof. I mowed 7.24 miles, says iPhone calculated, counting my steps and hauled the hay to the heifers. Then we set up an electric fence south of the garage. Cows cleaned that off in two mowings. I called him to return from work last night. I had mowed the edges and gathered and laid out all the stakes. Trav strung an electric fence around the old garden area near the shop so the pets could mow until the end of this weekend. Then they will be released with the rest of the herd into the south pasture. I cleared out lots of overgrown ground cover and spread six bags of bark under the pine tree in the front yard after gathering all the pine needles (two wheelbarrows full).

    ReplyDelete