Friday, September 25, 2026

Nail Day, KFC & a Hurricane Picking Tomatoes

The day was overcast and dreary, so bring on the coffee and toast! More visiting with Deb and Chuck filled the morning, with a shower for me fitting in somewhere along the way.


Harley enjoying her time with Auntie and Uncle who she missed

At 11:30, Deb and I ran to town while Chuck stayed behind to relax. We dropped the trash off on the way and made our first stop at the nail shop. Deb enjoyed what she declared the best pedicure of her life, while I settled for a colour change.


pedicure essentials

Next up was Deb’s favourite hobby—quilting. I had forgotten about a local quilt store, but she remembered it! She found a Canadian kit to add to her to-do list, and then we tackled the groceries before rounding out our town trip with KFC for a very late lunch.


Back at the ranch after 2, we all thoroughly enjoyed the long-thought-about KFC with a couple of cold beers. Chuck had made good use of his quiet time while we were gone, fitting in some reading, a walk (Harley opted out) and even a nap.


The wind, however, had other plans for the afternoon. It kicked into high gear before 3, completely changing our plans for a walk. After our full tummies and even more visiting, Deb and Chuck headed off for a nap while I caught up today’s blog.

With the forecast calling for a cool and yucky week ahead, I decided today was the day to get all the remaining tomatoes picked. I kept hoping the wind would settle down, but instead it seemed determined to get even worse. Harley stood guard while I cut and boxed everything up—four full boxes of tomatoes brought into the garage. Mission accomplished in what felt like hurricane winds!


I fed Harley and sent her out with a frozen treat for all her help before coming back in around 5 to work on the family tree. The Schmitts were up from their refreshing nap by then, so we settled into the evening together.


Rather than bother with a big supper, we opted for snacks and games, with plenty of rounds and each of us winning our share. A pretty perfect way to finish a dreary, windy day.


Yesterday when they arrived 



1 comment: