Saturday, April 20, 2013

724 - new girl Scooter arrives

Day 724 .. well its started overcast and dismal and by noon turned to sleet and snow, then clear then sun out for a bit while snowing.. an all round crappy weather day. The weather had the ponies acting like wild mustangs, Check out the 30yr old Julio!






Sheldon and I barred the element before noon to prepare for the arrival of a new gal joining the herd. Sheldon put up 2 rails broke last year while I refilled the mineral/salt tubs and blocked on paddocks. Sam delivered her just before 1. We swapped her into one of our blankets and sent her out in her own pasture for a few days. Here is a blurb Sybil (the gal we got Nightbird from who originally sent Scooter to Sam)

"Nice that dear old Scooter has ended up in your caring hands! She was a great mare that was in my brother-in law's string. She was imported from Argentina by a wealthy American and played high goal polo in California. She could play like a demon, was quick as a wink but was always very controllable. If you ever use a western saddle - DO NOT PUT A BACK CINCH ON. She can act a bit like a grumpy old lady but that is typical of most Argentine horses."

 Scooter checking out her new digs
 Pepper having a good roll
 over to meet the herd

 but the fellows are racing after hawk says don't talk to the new girl Julio! So after they go to the far pasture he grazes closer to the house and the new girl.. what a stud!
Good to have the cinch tip before I rode her :-) At 2 Sam headed back to Calgary and Sheldon Britt and I loaded up for town. Of course Britt drove us in her car dropping me at bangles for Amanda to highlight my hair. Thanks Amanda for the lovely color. It sure will not look like this a year from now! She only has 3 more work days before the arrival of baby Paetz!!

We did stop quick at rummage sale to buy a bag of rags but they had it all cleaned up :-( While I enjoyed the hair spa, the other two went for groceries, Walmart, Tims, bank and did some parallel parking practice. By four I was picked up and we were on our way home.

Supper tonight was one of my favorite dishes at Original Joes; but I used this recipe for fish tacos. Yummy!  
before cooked and below after.. I tried soft tortilla and my favorite hard taco shell shown below
After supper we enjoyed 2 good family movies; Amazing Racer and Pure Country 2: The Gift. 

A fairly good day at the ranch, welcome Miss Scooter!

No comments:

Post a Comment