Friday, June 21, 2019

Summer solstice

It is crazy how the last few months I wake at 6:30 or earlier, many times I fall back asleep. Some I do not, like today! Oh my it is too early on such a dreary day so I perused Instagram for quite some time before getting up and making my first latte and let Lola out at 8.

I did a bit of marketing then headed to the garage to get busy on projects. The dresser body was lightly sanded and then clear waxed. Black wax was added after all that and it looks great. The top and drawer fronts however are not so great. This all in one product is not as good as others. It is streaky and has dull spots. I applied another coat with a brush and it was a bit better but not totally, grrr. I messaged the paint company for suggestions.



The drawer knobs were all waxed and when sorting the old ones I realized that I need 8 not 6!! GEEZ and I do not have two more smalls to match so I had to source 4 more and start all over sanding, painting and waxing.

Short rain came down at noon and returned with vengeance at 2 creating puddles quickly. Shaina text that it had been raining all night and all day in the city and Cochrane has flooding ;(


The garage projects continued with the growth ruler started. Sanding edges then grey milk paint went on both sides, when dry, a lighter grey went on the front and then sanded smooth when all dry. The back was clear coated.




Now that the dresser is almost complete it was time to address the inside of the drawers.   But first, The drawer rails were waxed and a progress photo snapped to see what the painted knobs will look like, I think good, how about you?



The drawers have seen allot of wear. The inside edges had been sanded so they were rubbed with hemp oil inside and out and on the rails to rehydrate. The front of the ruler was clear coated too.



I checked the rain gauge at 3:30, 6/10ths , nice


Stopping to spiralize a sweet potato to make a carbonara I saw on YouTube for supper turned out ok but not amazing. 



Back out to the garage where I added a 4th coat to the dresser top and drawer fronts. Hopefully this is it and no more marks. I scrubbed up a little spice rack to paint and hauled out a jewelry box. It was free but man there were some issues. First I removed the globby glued on necklace carousel and glass from doors. This is when I found a broke portion on the frame that was rubbing when it closed as it was glued before off kilter. I took the door off and sanded off the old glue which shifted the mitered corner and caused a real juggle to try and glue it square. Fingers crossed or it may be tossed.


 



I closed up shop at 8:30 and had my dessert smoothie using hte last of my days calories. Time for a bit of marketing and blogging while I drank it then off for a soak in the tub on this cold summer solstice eve. I started a new Netflix series called Big Dreams Small Spaces and quite enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment