Tuesday, July 7, 2026

Finding Hope in Small Victories

I woke around 7, not wanting to wake Renn, who had started tossing and turning beside me. While she dozed, my mind was anything but quiet. I scrolled through lists, thought about kid-friendly lunches, and wondered if B needed a hand with Cooper. Thankfully I could text her, and she'd already managed everything on her own. Renn eventually snuggled in again and was finally getting some much-needed sleep.

S was planning to attend the Data Centre Council meeting at 9:00, and his phone chirped around 8:00, waking me from my own little doze. I had arranged for Amanda to drop Ada off to help watch the girls while B and I took Cooper to what I thought was his 11:00 vet appointment. AJ texted to say they wouldn't make it by 9:00, which worked out perfectly since we weren't leaving until 10:00 anyway. S got up around 9:00, but instead of heading out, he decided to watch the meeting online from Big Brown while still wearing his housecoat. I let Amanda know there was no rush.

Renn was still sound asleep, and I debated whether I should wake her trying to get back on schedule. Kaylin's advice was simple: let her sleep. So I got myself ready for the day, made coffee for S and me, B politely passed as not a fan of our coffee. 

 
Ais up doing her pet petting


sleeping beauty

Amanda and Ada arrived just before 10:00, and we had a chance to catch up. Amanda had thoughtfully brought over a basket full of kid-friendly food. Earlier that morning I'd been worrying about what the girls would have for lunch, especially with S not planned to be here as lunchtime cook. Now he will be. I also discovered Cooper's appointment wasn't until 11:30 after all.

I gently woke Renn after 10:00 so she wouldn't wake up wondering where I'd gone. She was a little shy at first, but before long she was showing off her juggling skills after Ada demonstrated hers, followed by an impressive little breakdance performance. Amanda headed home while B and I loaded Cooper into her car, leaving the girls with S to enjoy breakfast and lunch. Thanks again, Amanda, for the snacks and lunch.

On our way to the vet we swung through the Langdon Tim Hortons so I could grab us a tea and a latte. We arrived early only to discover a Stampede breakfast taking over the parking lot. After finally finding a parking spot, we unloaded Cooper in Renn's fancy wagon, which certainly impressed the veterinary team.

Dr. Diaz gave Cooper a thorough examination and talked us through everything. Before we left, his technician loaded us up with canned food and an appetite stimulant to try. Poor Cooper still hadn't really eaten since Thursday morning other than little bits of liver and the small amount we'd managed to tuck into his cheeks.


An hour later we were heading back east. It was a beautiful afternoon, so we settled Cooper under the apple trees for some fresh air and relaxation. Then came the best surprise we'd had in days. The appetite stimulant kicked in, and Cooper actually started eating some of the canned food from the clinic along with a few other soft foods B had been offering. It wasn't much, but after days of worrying, it felt like a huge victory.


While we were gone, the girls had enjoyed a good lunch—well, everyone except Renn, who stayed true to form and chose fruit and a yogurt tube instead. Inside, the girls got her dressed, I applied her sunscreen before they headed outside for a short play while I quickly hand-watered my plants and turned the soaker hoses on and B and Coop snuggled in the shade.

S's online meeting was still going, but he shut the laptop and went out to check over the tractor and baler. He'd listed the swather for sale that morning and already had plenty of interest. (It officially sold later in the day) Unfortunately, after replacing three compressors on the tractor and spending plenty of money, it turns out the air conditioning still isn't right. That machine may soon be joining the swather on the market.

After Cooper wheelbarrowed himself over to the steps, we moved him back inside once I'd changed his bedding again. It was time for both him and B to have a little rest. Meanwhile, the girls and I played cards while S mowed the lawn. I closed up the windows so the noise was less for Cooper, but things became more chaotic when more of the Paetz family arrived around 4:30.







Shaina had some makeup for Ada that she trialed on Ais and Renn then created theatrical bruises on them



Amanda trimmed Renn's bangs, I stitched up Asher's ball shorts, and Renn opened her birthday gift from the Paetz family. It was an absolute hit—a handmade Baby Shark family, matching playdough complete with treats, and a 3D-printed playdough roller the kids had made themselves.





The house became even louder when C and S came in, full of conversation and laughter. They were asked to sit on the deck with a second beer then the kids put on an enthusiastic dance and entertainment show. B and I tried moving Cooper into our bedroom in hopes of giving him some quiet, but the doorway wasn't wide enough to get thru, so they settled just outside.

Around 7:00 the Paetz family headed home just as Nathan arrived. The original plan had been for Renn and the girls to stay another night, but B decided she'd like to try having Cooper at home overnight and wanted my help. Nathan gathered up Renn's things, hugs and goodbyes were shared, and they headed home. Kaylin and Shaina were off to yet another concert.

B and I settled Cooper back out onto the sunny deck for a while before S got tacos started for supper. I spent the time cleaning up toys, washing dog beds, moving things back where they belonged, setting the robot to work, and generally putting the house back together.

Supper was late, but it hit the spot. Afterwards, B packed everything she'd need for the night, and I gathered my things too. Just before 10:00 we headed into town, leaving S to enjoy the chuckwagon races and make plans. Before supper, the swather had officially sold, and the buyer had even asked about the baler that S has been debating selling as well.

At the townhouse we settled Cooper into the living room while I worked on today's blog from the couch. B grabbed a shower, emptied and reloaded the dishwasher, fed poor neglected Gulliver, and did another round of Cooper care. Around 11:30 we moved Cooper upstairs to his favourite place in the house—his bed piled high with pillows, right beside his brother Gulliver.


in his big bed with B <3

Once I knew they were settled, I headed to the spare room and left B curled up with her boys. I watched a little We Were Liars before finally calling it a night myself.

2 comments:

  1. You all provided so much emotional support for Brittany during a most difficult and heart-wrenching journey

    ReplyDelete