It was a restless night with me awake at 2, then again around 5 to shoo away a magpie outside the bedroom window and charge my watch. I was up for the day shortly after 7. S made our coffees before heading out around 8:30 while I got to work on accounting and contacted the well company about getting new flags put out.
S was back just as I was hopping in the shower. He settled into Big Brown with his laptop while I boxed up a pile of Amazon returns.
I was working on the blog when B and Cooper arrived before 11:30. She's officially on a six-day vacation—yesterday was the stat holiday, today was her regular day off, and she booked Friday and Monday off too. A well-deserved break. She was heading to a Stampede concert tonight, so Cooper was staying over for a sleepover.
While B went for a ride, I weeded, watered, picked poop, and folded laundry. S surfed his phone, had a sandwich, then headed back to town after 12:30 while B fed the horses.
I had planned to run in and do my Amazon returns, but B needed help putting fly sheets on the horses first. Biebs decided to make us earn it and wasn't interested in being caught. B and Harley got in plenty of extra steps, and poor B even biffed it in the long grass before we finally got him blanketed. She headed home around 1:30 to get ready for her night out.
After testing it yesterday while riding and again today out in the garden, I can officially say I'm a fan of the new bug spray. ChatGPT suggested one with oil of lemon eucalyptus, and it really does seem to keep the mosquitoes at bay. It worked well while I was gardening, pruning and weeding.
S returned around 2:30 after his trip to town that included dropping off trash, updating Running With the Bulls rules, picking up more swather parts and grabbing baler twine. He headed straight to the shop to work on the swather while I finally made my own trip to town.
I dropped off the Amazon returns at the post office, picked up a new library book and filled my growler at Origin's before heading home about an hour later. Once back, it was time for my workout.
After finishing, I went to prepare supper for the dogs. S took Harley and Cooper for their walk while I made up their bowls, then I sat on the deck in the sunshine watching them make their way back.
When they got back S set out their food but only Harley was eating when I looked out. Cooper was not eating which isn't unusual so I went in to order dog food.
I heard thru the window S say, "Cooper, what's wrong?" I looked out the office window and immediately noticed Cooper favouring his right side. Within minutes he was struggling more, slowly climbing the stairs before heading straight into the kennel.
I knew something was very wrong.
I sent a video to B right away. Barely ten minutes earlier I had been watching him happily walking home.
I called the veterinary clinic, and they told us to come immediately. We loaded Cooper into the truck and headed straight in.
They ruled out poisoning, administered diazepam and morphine, started an IV line and, after discussing everything with B on speakerphone, decided he needed to be transferred to the emergency hospital in Calgary.
We finally arrived back at the ranch after 9, nearly four hours after this whole ordeal began. Frozen pizza was about all either of us could manage as we sat there trying to process what had just happened to poor Cooper.
We watched another episode of Clarkson's Farm while checking in with B throughout the evening. Around 11 she called, and I headed into town to spend the night with her and Sir Gulliver.






No comments:
Post a Comment