Sunday, July 26, 2026

Peas, Paddock Changes & Keeping Hank Off the Grass

The sky was noticeably clearer today, although there was still a haze lingering in the distance. The heat continues to hang on, so I enjoyed my coffee in bed while perusing Instagram before the day got underway. Once S was up, he made his coffee and enjoyed it on the deck before heading off to church.

I spent the morning blogging and tackling a bit of marketing, which included taking a few fresh photos of the wood bench we handcrafted years ago and recently put back up for sale.

While outside, I tossed hay to Roo only to receive a text from B reminding me that she should be out grazing with the littles and Jimmy. As soon as I let her out, she promptly marched over and pushed Jimmy away from the little horses before everyone settled into grazing together.




I was chatting with Shaina after she went to look at another horse today—Roo's nephew, no less! She was hoping B and I might join her, so she shared all the details just as S rolled home from church and settled onto the couch.

After that, I squeezed in my workout, had a sandwich for lunch, and returned to blogging. Friday's post was particularly photo and video heavy, especially with others sending files that needed to be converted and added in. Eventually, I got it completed and published before immediately moving on to Saturday's equally picture-heavy post.

It climbed to 29 while I was outside picking peas and weeding the garden. S did a quick mowing of weeds in the horse paddock, then quietly hooked up the trailer and disappeared down the driveway.

Apparently, he could not stay away from another rodeo work bee.

It really was a spectacular summer day. Perhaps sitting beside a lake somewhere, would have been a perfect option. Instead, I found myself reading while watching the ongoing horse dynamics unfold in the paddocks.


I took Hank some salt/mineral in a tub to see if he wanted any seeing he cannot reach any shelter buckets


Eventually, I decided I needed to be productive.

Harley received the royal treatment today—a meal, brushing, toenail trim, and a bath after enduring several hot days in a row.

By the time I was putting everything away and changing her bedding, S was pulling back into the yard shortly after 6, minus the trailer and eager for some air conditioning and television.

Meanwhile, I continued my horse watching duties from the deck with a cold beverage in hand. Even Harley eventually decided she'd had enough heat for one day and retreated inside, leaving me to relocate to the lower BBQ deck for a better view of the paddocks.

Later, I made a quick trip to town—yes, our third vehicle trip of the day. To be fair, the other two trips failed to ask if I needed anything!

My mission included:

  • Returning an Amazon parcel.
  • Stocking up on coffee "creamer" before the sale ended.
  • Picking up a few groceries and cat food.

When I returned home, B was finishing evening horse chores and had successfully recruited S to help solve our latest challenge: keeping Hank off the lush grass.

Ponies and unlimited pasture don't always mix well, and keeping Hank from overindulging has been a concern since the day he arrived. We've managed it well so far, but now that everyone is moving into larger paddocks, adjustments are needed.

Catching Hank in a large field alongside two full-sized horses proved interesting. One horse was mostly interested in treats while the other seemed determined to encourage Hank to run laps. Thankfully, B caught Mac, and Hank followed shortly afterward—quite literally.

S had installed two pallets across the openings by the waterer, and to everyone's relief, they successfully contained Hank in the diet pen with his new roommate. Although he did test it a couple times.



After tossing them some hay, B and I stood watching for a while to make sure everyone was happy with the new arrangement before she headed home for the evening.

I continued monitoring the roommate situation while catching up on a few episodes of Elle. S rounded out his evening with a hot tub and, unsurprisingly, more television.

Today's headline was definitely Hank. Keeping a miniature horse off lush grass in the middle of an Alberta summer is proving to be a bit of a full-time job, but it's one worth doing. Every day we're learning a little more about these rescues—their habits, friendships, and the occasional escape plan. Thankfully, Hank seems happiest as long as Mac is nearby, there's hay in front of him, and no one expects him to stay where he doesn't think he belongs. ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment