Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Yardwork continues

We got up early to brew a pot of coffee at 8, as a farewell gesture for the departing travelers. Shortly after, Dave arrived to drop off Cooper. Following a brief visit, he left to go train his horses. It wasn't long before Cooper signaled an alert; a coyote was lurking by the lilac bush. S swiftly took his gun and fired a precise shot, although it wasn't the fox this time. 


I devoted some time to updating the blog before I applied the fourth coat of stain to the tabletop. Afterwards, I ventured outside to plant more peas, beets, and kohlrabi in the garden. S removed the coyote body and then busied himself with securing the hot wire along the water fence line.

A lasagna lunch with a refreshing drink was savored. Subsequently, I returned outside to water the raised beds. S departed for town at 12:30 to assist at the rodeo grounds. He dropped a box of lily of the valley he brought me from Joeleen when he went for lunch in the valley when he was out there. They are too invasive for me so I passed them on to another lady and dug up the couple of Virginia creepers I found in the island. I planted tulips and daffodils in the backyard bed, hoping they will flourish.


These photos are to help me remember where they are once they die back in case I plant more plants in the area.


 Following Britt's instructions, I removed Roo's mask. The temperature climbed to 23 degrees, accompanied by wind. I gathered dandelions for the horses when removing the mask. Meanwhile, Cooper rolled in fresh poop, which was unpleasant to say the least.


Once back inside, I resumed working on the blog. I looked out to the west and saw the dam fox crossing right along the house paddock fence line!! Harley wanted to come inside, but I detected a foul smell and realized she too had rolled in poop, necessitating a bath for both dogs. The water turned green as I washed them. Afterward, it was time to catch up on the blog. Sheldon was home before 4:30 as I was feeding the dogs. He had picked up the mail and seeing it has been a. Few weeks there was a few letters and couple parcels. My seeds arrived to sprout and some new moisturizing sunscreen. 


He also picked up a few library books and a new sump pump, setting it up for our garden's irrigation. While we watched the news and prepared supper—steak and roasted vegetables—a brief squall passed at 5:30. It had been dark and windy, but afterwards, the sun shone with a gentle breeze. The supper was as delicious as ever.


Renn enjoying her reflection in the phone

Hockey was on, but S took a break to join me in walking the dogs. We circled to the gate, through the rows of trees, then back up along the south fence. With mosquitoes beginning to swarm, it was time to set up the zapper. I watered the asparagus due to the lack of rain fall and then the front planters by hand. We enjoyed a soak in the tub under the beautiful sunshine. Post-shower, I went out to take pictures of the mystery apple tree. The cats were settled in for the night just as a massive windstorm hit. S had ice cream, and I opted for a yogurt bowl.



Dave and Britt arrived before 9, her workday having run late. D joined to watch hockey, while I updated today's blog at the island and Britt tended to the horses. She spent some time with us before they left after 10. We went to bed, both reading for a bit. S drifted off, and I caught a little Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment